Thursday 9 December 2010

Taken in by Talbot

Taken in by Talbot
No, I didn’t make up a fake illness so I could get an appointment with the delicious young doctor. Nothing would have been more embarrassing. No, the first time I met Talbot properly was after I fainted at school and Miss Evans, our school nurse, drove me round there in the car.
It was so embarrassing. Then. It wouldn’t bother me now. I don’t have that sort of cycle any more anyway. So, I didn’t have proper periods, but boy, when they came did they hurt! The pain had been so bad I’d keeled over in the middle of a chemistry lesson. I’d smashed a test tube on the way and I’d got a nasty gash on my arm. When he first saw that, Talbot pulled a face and then sent for the nurse. He stayed out of the room whilst she cleaned it up and put a dressing on it.
“Well, well, Miss Fyonah McBride, what’s been happening to you?” he asked, when he came back in. “So much blood. Cutting your arm at the same time as you have your period. Careless! Careless!”
Now, of course, I understand how he knew all of that. And why he licked his lips and why his eyes grew round and his pupils big and then why he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. But then I was really surprised about how he could know about my period – I was such a shy little thing back then.
He sent Miss Evans away.
“We could put you on the pill,” he said.
I blushed and looked away.
“My mummy and my daddy would not be very happy about that,” I said.
“Oh, yes, the Pope,” said Talbot.
When I looked up again, he was grinning.
“Oh, Miss McBride,” he said. “There are other solutions, but you’re really too young for me to suggest those seriously.”
Something happened in that moment. I wasn’t sure then exactly what at the time. Now, I know it was a Talbot trick. But I was well and truly taken in. Then, in that moment as his eyes became silver and he looked at me with half smile on his lips, I knew why the other girls had wanted to go and see him.
My heart rate quickened.
“I’d better examine you,” he said.
A few moments later, I was lying on his couch with just my panties on and covered with a light blanket. He called the nurse in.
“You need a chaperone,” he said. “And don’t worry. I won’t be doing an internal exam today.”
He pulled the blanket down gently and started prodding at my tummy. “I’m sorry my hands are so cold,” he said.
I could hardly breathe. Yet I was able to notice that his nostrils were flaring slightly and that he seemed not to breathe. And at the same time it was incredibly soothing having his cool hands glide across my skin.
“It all seems normal,” he said. “It will all regularise in time. I’ll give you something for the pain.”
“What was the other thing you said I could do?” I asked as he gave me the prescription a few moments later.
“I didn’t,” he said. “I said there wasn’t anything else suitable for someone as young as you.”
“I am nearly sixteen,” I said.
He smiled and this time his eyes seemed to glow gold. “Too young,” he said. “A pity.”
My heart really began to race now. I wanted to see him again. I wanted him to touch me again. I wanted the silkiness of him. I was almost thirsty for him. Even then.
He looked away. “Do come back, Miss McBride, if you have any more problems.” He said, his voice sounding like satin. He looked back at me.
I could not breathe at all now. I thought my heart would stop completely.
If Miss Evans had not come back in and whisked me away, I swear I would have never moved again.

No comments:

Post a Comment